Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A day at the Zoo

Yesterday, Koko and Dallas took Makenzie and I to the zoo.  We had so much fun!  Kenzie and I always have gone on a Sunday with Scotty and it is so crowded that you can hardly get up close to the animals and miss a lot of the exhibits.  However, during the week, it is perfect.  There was hardly anyone there and the kids barely sat in the stroller the entire time.  They ran free and loved every second of it.

 It was a little chilly when we first got there but it didn't take long before the weather was perfect.  We went and saw the elephants and fed the giraffes first.  This is by far my favorite part of the zoo. 




We left there and watched a little show and then rode the monorail.  Kenzie loved it, and the kiddos were so cute waiting in line.  They kept saying "choochoo" over and over the whole time!


 On the way from the monorail we stopped to watch a snake show and the kids touched a hissing cockroach---eww!
 

We headed to the Children's section and had a picnic lunch.  The kids ran around and played for awhile and then we went into a little house that had a lot for them to do.....even pet a snake.




We fed a bunch of coy fish.  There were so many and they were HUNGRY.  They kept coming right up to us and opening their mouths. I wanted Kenzie to just throw in the food, but she preferred to put one pellet IN each fishes mouth (I made sure they didn't have teeth first), and when we stopped feeding them they would turn around and splash us with their tails.  I got fish water in my mouth and hair----it was just great!! Makenzie is so brave and just jumps right in and does everything.  I love that about her and how nice it must be to not be afraid of anything.  I try really hard to not freak out about bugs and reptiles in front of her so she can keep being naïve and embrace everything, but it's really hard.  Next was petting a bunny and going in the goat pin to pet the goats.


This last picture cracks me up.  I love her face she is making at the goat.  She had just come up the stairs and he nuzzled her face and she wasn't expecting it.  She loved the goats though.  We rode a choo choo train and saw the monkeys on the way out and then headed home.  It was such a fun trip to the zoo. 
 
When we got home I checked on the zoo in my front room and was so excited to see....
Caught the little big sucker.  I have never been so happy to see a lizard in my life (stuck to a sticky pad that is).  I kept the door closed and made Scotty put him in a bag and take him to the dumpster the minute he got home.  I'm just having to convince myself it is the only one that was in there---has to be right?
 
I had to work today, so Scotty stayed home with Makenzie.  It was soo not fun getting up early and actually having to get ready.  Makenzie woke up at 4 crying that her mouth hurt and I was worried about her and wasn't able to go back to sleep--so that made for a very long day.  Kenzie and Daddy had fun and when I got home we went on a walk and went to the park to play.  (Daddy went to work).  I guess I got the bad half of the day because she was so grumpy and crying, which makes her mouth hurt.  It's a viscous cycle.  It was terrible.  I gave her some pain medicine about 7:30 and I think it had the opposite effect on her.  She was bouncing off the walls and wanted to play with daddy when he got home from work.  I'm so glad I get to stay home tomorrow with her.  I'm hoping she will sleep all night and get a good night's rest because we are planning on taking her to the Aurboretum tomorrow morning to play in the pumpkins!!




No comments:

Post a Comment